SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.23 issue1Promoting healthy lifestyles in public officials, Costa RicaNutritional Profile of the Elderly in a Hospital Unit in Costa Rica author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO


Revista Costarricense de Salud Pública

Print version ISSN 1409-1429


BARRIENTOS CALVO, Isabel; MADRIGAL LEER, Fabián  and  ABARCA GOMEZ, Leandra. Prevalence and risk factors in older adults in Costa Rica. Rev. costarric. salud pública [online]. 2014, vol.23, n.1, pp.39-43. ISSN 1409-1429.

Nutritional risk is the potential of developing malnutrition by the lack of food, due to various factors. The prevalence of nutritional risk in older adults using the minimum nutritional assessment (MNA®) in Europe and the United States is 15 % and 20 %. The SABE study in Mexico, determined a 31,8 % Objective: to know the prevalence of nutritional risk and its main factors in older adults who attend a first level of care in Costa Rica. Methodology: Study design is transverse, descriptive, prevalence type. 100 patients obtained by random sampling. An interview was conducted; complete geriatric history, anthropometric measurements, and the minimum nutritional assessment (MNA). Statistical package (SPSS v. 17). T Student to compare the differences in the variables. Logistic regression with all the variables. Results: Total of 100 patients, 39 % were men, and the remaining 61% women. The average age was 76,4 years, with a high of 97 years. The prevalence of nutritional risk was 34 % (95 % C.I.: 24,2 - 43,8). The results of logistic regression showed that loss of appetite, the risk of depression and a BMI equal to or less than 23, showed strong association with nutritional risk. Conclusions: The prevalence of nutritional risk was lower than reported in European studies, but similar as documented in the Latin American studies. The related factors obtain in this study could served as usable variables in nutritional risk detection instruments to be applicable at the national level.

Keywords : Aged; Risk factors; Body Mass Index; Appetite; Depression.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License